We Sing Pop! Song Contest 2017 Rules
Applicants of ages 4 and above may apply. We invite school students and adults to participate in the Contest. There is no age limit for the adult participants.
All applicants who are signed with the manager or producer must submit via email a General Representation and Release Form signed by the Manager/Producer to be eligible for the Contest.
Up to 10 (ten) Best Pop Singers will be offered to perform at the Isaac Stern Auditorium / Perelman Stage at Carnegie Hall on June 6, 2018 at 8:00 PM, as a part of American Protégé Summer Gala Concert at Stern.
First and Second Place Winners of the We Sing Pop! Song Contest 2017 will perform at the Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall on the dates to be announced.
$400 Scholarship, Judges’ Favorite Award Trophy, Judges’ Distinction Award Trophy and other Special Awards may be granted based on the judges recommendations.
To apply, musicians should fill out the Application Form. All participants who fill out the form must also submit:
- A DVD recording of the audition materials, or video sharing site links (Dailymotion, Vimeo etc.) to videos of their performance or file transfer (WeTransfer, DropBox, Google Drive, etc.).
- A short biography (include past participation in competitions, contests, festivals and other public events) in MS Word format, under 150 words. Portrait-style photo of good quality, uploaded with the application form or emailed to email@example.com.
- An application fee for solo applicants is US$ 200.
- An application fee for group participant is US$ 120.
- The application fees must be submitted either by check or money order, made to American Protege, or PayPal (at the bottom of this page).
The DVD/video submission rules are as follows:
- No song performed should exceed four minutes in length.
- Submitted video must be an accurate representation of the skill of the performer.
- Professional recordings are unnecessary; however, video must be of adequate quality to determine skill.
- The songs must comply with the video submission guidelines (see below).
- Audition materials submitted via video sharing links (YouTube, Dailymotion, Vimeo etc.) may have a single link for multiple songs, or multiple links with one song each. Auditions submitted by mail should have all materials on one DVD.
- No live accompaniment, with the exception of a single piano, is permitted during either the audition recording or the final round performance. Pre-recorded background music is permitted and is more in theme with the contest.
- The audio and video must match and be in sync.
- We Sing Pop! Song Contest does not take responsibility for corrupted files and those that our systems cannot process.
- DVD submissions will not under any circumstances be returned.
Application process has been closed and the audition is in progress.
VI. Video Submission Guidelines
Genre: Below are the acceptable genres for songs submitted to We Sing Pop! Song Contest:
These restrictions apply to all songs submitted.
- Video submissions with one application form must contain at least two songs. Applicants may submit up to three songs included in the Application Fee (see application rules). Applicants wishing to submit more than three songs must fill out the Additional Songs field below. Four songs is the maximum allowed per applicant, with an optional third and fourth.
Song 1: A modern song of the applicant’s choosing. This may be an existing song, or an original composition by the applicant.
Song 2: A hit song from any year’s Billboard Top 100 list. A popular hit song submission facilitates the judging process and makes for entertaining potential performance repertoire. The song of choice can be from any of Billboard’s lists over the years. Lists of Top 100 songs over the years can be found at www.billboardtop100of.com. Note: the category restrictions above are still applicable here.
Song 3 (OPTIONAL): An optional second modern song of the applicant’s choosing.
Song 4 (OPTIONAL): An optional song at applicant’s choice.
- Video material must be labeled. Video sharing links must have the name and song being performed in the video title. DVD’s must be labeled with the applicant’s name and all song names in order.
- All songs must be family-appropriate. Songs judged inappropriate will be disqualified.
- Submitted songs cannot be changed after the submission deadline (see above). Please notify us of any repertoire changes before resubmitting material.
- Original songs will not be judged on songwriting skill.
- Video Sharing Links: All links must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the completed application form and portrait photo.
- DVD’s should be mailed to:
We Sing Pop! Song Contest
P.O. Box 287476
New York, NY 10128
Reminder: Applicants submitting DVD’s by mail may submit their check by mail as well. However, photos and bios must be submitted electronically.
VII. Criteria for Participants Evaluation
Primary criteria for participant evaluations are as follows:
- Participant’s level of mastery of the chosen repertoire.
- Degree of complexity of the repertoire.
- Dramatic quality/showmanship of the performer.
- Quality of the supporting features of the performance (including dance, costumes, special effects, backup singing, etc.).
- Quality of arrangement and originality of the overall musical performance.
- The final selection of winners will be based solely on the video recordings submitted for the audition.
- Winners will be selected by the We Sing Pop! Organizational Committee, who will begin to judge only after the submission deadline has passed.
- A participant’s result will not be affected by his/her submission date, provided all application materials are in before the deadline.
- All Winners will be notified of the song to be performed during the Winners Concert.
- All applicants will be notified of the contest results via email no later than January 7, 2018.
IX. Winners Concert Information at Weill Recital Hall
- Selected Winners will perform one song on stage as selected by the judges from the applicant’s audition repertoire.
- Performance time limit for each age and repertoire category is 4 (four) minutes.
- House Acoustic system and microphone will be provided at the Winners Concerts.
- The Concert Fees (Acoustic System and Photo Fees) are $400 and include use of the acoustic system, admission for the participant and a piano accompanist (if needed), set of professional high-resolution digital photos and Winners’s Diploma. Guests tickets are not included into the Concert Fees.
- Concert Fees are not refundable.
- Detailed Concert Guidelines will be forwarded to the Winners via email.
- Judges will give no feedback on the applicants’ performances.
- For concert tickets please visit www.carnegiehall.org.
To pay the Application Fee online, please select an option in the drop-down window, and click on the PayPal button below.
A credit card charge will be processed by American Protégé, Inc, a We Sing Pop! Song Contest organizer.
By clicking on the button you will be re-directed to PayPal